This is the new, modern ham and cheese sandwich. It may seem a strange combination at first, but it will win you over (and it was my favourite childhood sandwich).
- Herbed Cream Cheese:
- 1 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion or chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp pepper
- For Sandwich:
- 8 slices raisin bread (preferable without too much cinnamon)
- 12 oz good quality ham, thinly sliced
For herbed cream cheese, beat cream cheese to soften. Add green onion or chives, oregano and pepper and stir until blended.
To assemble sandwiches, spread herbed cream cheese on all slices of raisin bread. Arrange ham on cream cheese, sandwich bread together and slice.
Another tasty option: toast the raisin bread before assembling.